If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is definitely for citrus lovers--it is pleasantly tart--but it is at the same time filling and warming for winter. I adapted it from a recipe at FoodFreak, who I believe adapted it from an Oprah recipe. I like this soup brothy to treat a cold, but you could add a bit more red lentils for a thicker stew. —The Spiced Life
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (avoid red for a nicer color)
- 2 medium parsnips, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 limes, juiced, separated into 1 lime and 2 limes
- 1 grapefruit, juiced
- 1 large bay leaf (or 2 small)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup split red lentils
- 1/2 cup lentils de puy (French green lentils or some other lentil that holds its shape when cooked)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves and soft stems
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-3 tablespoons honey, to taste
- paper thin orange slices to garnish
- plain Greek yogurt to garnish, optional
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, parsnips and celery, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook until tender and slightly browned, about 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium if it starts to stick.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes more. Then add curry, cumin, and coriander, and stir for 30 seconds–do not let it scorch. Add the juice of the lemon, 2 limes, and the grapefruit, 1 tablespoons of honey, bay leaf, stock, and lentils. Raise heat to high, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low, allowing lentils to simmer. Continue simmering 45 to 55 minutes, until lentils are tender. The red ones will fall apart, providing some thickening, but the lentils de puy should hold their shape.
- Remove bay leaf, add cilantro and the juice of one lime, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more honey if necessary. Depending on stock used, soup may need up to one tablespoon salt. Serve garnished with the orange slices and yogurt, if desired (the kids like the yogurt but I actually felt it did not need it).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
It's time to travel.
You need to make this Indian spice mix.