If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love sweet potato recipes that complement the natural sweetness of the vegetable, instead of piling it on. I make it every year for Thanksgiving, and it has been well received by everyone from my hipster friends who live in Ditmas Park to my grandmother's oldest friend who, according to my grandmother, has "midwestern" tastes. Cayenne varies in heat, so taste yours and adjust quantities appropriately. - Savour
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice them thinly. (I usually use my mandoline).
- Set aside enough of the prettiest slices of sweet potatoes to cover the gratin dish you are using. (The sweet potatoes will likely have smaller or half slices in addition to perfect coins).
- In a medium gratin dish, arrange one layer of sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, a pinch of cayenne and a large pinch of smoked paprika. Dot with butter, and pour over a small portion of the cream.
- Continue with the remainder of the sweet potatoes, sprinkling each layer with the seasonings and dotting with butter. Use the reserved sweet potatoes for the top layer.
- Pour remaining cream over sweet potatoes. Cover the dish with tinfoil.
- Bake, covered for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until cream is absorbed and potatoes have browned.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls