If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is a riff on a traditional Indian recipe from Southern India. The name Pulihora, translates to Sour Rice in Telegu. I love to add a touch of basil, which adds an unusual and sprightly hint of flavor that pairs well with the floral tartness of lemon.
The flavor of this dish improves considerably after resting and tastes better served warm rather than hot. —Rinku Bhattacharya /Spice Chronicles
For the rice
- 1 cup short grained rice (such as the Indian Ponni rice)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the tempering and garnish
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
- 1 teaspoon yellow split lentils (called chana dal)
- 10-12 curry leaves (sold in Indian grocery stores)
- 2 teaspoons fresly grated ginger
- 4 dry red chilies
- 3/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 2 lemons, halved and seeded
- 2 green serrano chilies, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- Cook the rice in the water and salt for about 15 minutes after the water reaches a simmer, drain and rinse thoroughly and set out to cool.
- Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida and wait till the mustard seeds begin to crackle, this should take about 20 seconds.
- Add in the split lentils and cook for about a minute, to let the lentils turn a nutty brown color.
- Add in the curry leaves, ginger and dry roasted peanuts and cook lightly for about 1minutes.
- Add in the red chilies.
- Mix in the rice and the turmeric and mix well.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and stir in the green chilies, cilantro and basil and gently mix and turn off the heat.
- Cover and let the rice rest for about 15-30 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.