Author Notes: This recipe is a traditional middle eastern recipe that features in the cuisines of several countries. I was brave one evening and tried it in the microwave to satisfy my sweet cravings and was thrilled with the results.
- Rinku Bhattacharya
Serves 4 to 6
For the Cake
- 3/4 cups semolina
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Almonds to garnish
For the syrup
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated citrus zest (lemon, lime and or orange)
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- Mix in the semolina, flour and the baking powder and stir well.
- Mix in the egg, butter and yogurt and the sugar and mix well with either a strong wooden spoon or an electric beater until well mixed. Do not overbeat.
- Grease a glass casserole and pour in the mixture.
- Place the almonds about 2 inches apart, to essentially ensure a placement that is right in the center, when cut into squares.
- Cover with the cling wrap and microwave for 5 minutes on high. This does depend on your microwave, I recommend, doing this first for 3 minutes and then adding 2 more until the mixture is firm, but not too dry.
- While this is cooking, place the water and the sugar on the stovetop, heat till the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut the limes and squeeze in the juice and stir in the zest.
- Add in the rosewater.
- Cut the semolina mixture into 2 inch squares, such that the almonds are in the center.
- Pour over the syrup, this will first seem like a lot but eventually it get absorbed. Let it soak for at least 30 minutes and serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe