Author Notes: Dandelion greens have a bitter flavor similar to chicory and endive and are best when paired with sweet or salty foods. That's why I love this salad: Sweet Fuyu persimmons and succulent Medjool dates contrast deliciously with the bitter dandelion greens. Then the whole salad is lightly drizzled with a tangy honey-mustard vinaigrette. Dandelion greens are available at many supermarkets as well as organic specialty markets. If you can't find them, then other bitter greens such as chicory, frisee, and endive make good substitutes. - Food Blogga
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon stone mustard (or Dijon mixed with 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/2-1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches dandelion greens, washed, stems removed, and chopped**
- 2 small Fuyu persimmons, each cut into 6 wedges
- 4 Medjool dates, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lightly toasted pecans, sliced lengthwise
- For the vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients through black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the dandelions and persimmons. Pour half of the vinaigrette and toss until coated.
- Divide evenly among four plates. Add dates and pecans to each plate. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad