If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A lovely healthy salad that makes a perfectly balanced meal when served with some greens on the side. The exoctic spices compliment the sweet potato perfectly and the fresh cilantro and lemon break through with lightness and zing! —SimoneS
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 Spanish Oninon (red onion)
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1/4 cup Currents
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Dried Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried Cilantro
- 1 cup Dried Chickpeas (or 1 tin)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tablespoon Tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons Natural Yoghurt
- If using dried chickpeas you will need to soak them overnight in water. Drain and refresh water and bring to the boil, simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until tender to the bite.
- Add rice to a pan and cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Peel the sweet potato and cut into roughly 1 inch cubes. Dice the onion and add to a bowl with the potato. Add in the olive oil, cumin, dried cilantro and your cooked (or drained from a can) chickpeas. Mix to coat everything evenly with the oil and dried herb and spice.
- Spread out onto the baking tray and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until the potato is cooked through and slightly browned on the edges and the onion is starting to caremalize.
- While everything is cooking prepare the dressing. Mix together the lemon juice, tahini and yoghurt together to a consistency that is not too runny but not so thick that you can't pour it out. The size of your lemon and the consitency of your yoghurt will affect this. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste. I prefer to use low fat yoghurt because it is generally not as thick and adds to the astringency that compliments the sweet richness of the potato and the nutty rice and tahini.
- Wash and trim the stems off the cilantro. Roughly chop then combine in a bowl with the cooked rice and vegetables. Add in the currents. Serve with a genersous drizzle of the tahini dressing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.