If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What makes the soup this post about “golden” is the use of Yukon Gold potatoes, and some rich homemade chicken stock. The fundamental recipe is 6 cups liquid, 4 well-sized leeks, 6 medium to large sized potatoes, plus seasoning. You can make this soup vegan by using water and oil, vegetarian by introducing milk and/or butter, or use chicken stock or broth for the omnivore(s) in your life. —Crafty Fork
- 4 large leeks
- 1 1/4 pounds yukon gold potatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock (may sub broth or water)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil if making vegan soup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- In large pot, melt butter. Add sliced leeks and salt and cook on medium, stirring frequently, until transparent and wilted; do not brown or overcook the leeks.
- Add stock, water, potatoes, and thyme to pot and increase heat to bring to a soft boil. Cover and simmer for roughly half an hour, or until potatoes are soft and break easily with a fork.
- Remove from heat and stir in red and black pepper.
- If you have an immersion blender, use it here to puree the soup. If you do not have an immersion blender, most of this soup will fit in your blender, and what doesn’t fit can be mixed in with the pureed soup for a most pleasing texture. If using the blender technique, pulse until sufficiently pureed, then pour back into pot and stir to blend the pureed soup with the chunky bits.
- Serve immediately, or rest soup on low and serve within an hour or so. Leftover soup can be kept, covered tightly and refrigerated, for up to a week. find more photos and more detail here: http://craftyfork.com/2012/01/29/golden-potato-leek-soup/
This Week's Best #F52Farmstands
Things are feeling corny (and figgy and carroty and...)
This week's best #f52farmstands.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our recent favorite recipes.
Have a ball (jar).