Author Notes: I'd rather be eating Momofuko's chocolate cookies, but this is pretty good too. (For some reason I can't get the photo to go right side up even though I rotated it in iphoto.) - Giulia Melucci
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Melt the butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and salt and saute for about five minutes.
- Add the cauliflower florets, and stir to coat, then add the chicken broth. Raise the heat, bring to a simmer, add the nutmeg and white pepper and cook until the cauliflower is very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add the cream and cook for a few more seconds, then puree in a food processor or, better yet, with an immersion blender.
- Divide into two bowls (their should be a little left for seconds) sprinkled with almond slivers.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!