If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Indian Flat bread. Make this with different toppings like Chopped Garlic, chopped chives, or Nigella Seeds known as Kalonji. —PistachioDoughnut
Makes 8 to 10
- 4 cups AP Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Salt to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tablespoons Plain yogurt
- Oil to grease the dough
- Butter to be used on top of Naan
- Toppings like Nigella Seeds, Chopped Chives, Chopped garlic, Red chilli flakes etc
- Take AP flour, salt, baking powder, Baking soda, sugar and sift it together. Mix it well
- Now, take the yogurt and milk and add it to the flour mixture. You can add milk gradually if you want. And, if it is too sticky add a little bit of flour.
- Knead dough out of this mixture. Grease the dough with oil and let it sit for about 2 hours covered.
- After it has been resting, divide the dough into equal portions. If you are using any sort of toppings this is the time to incorporate them. Once the dough is divided apply a little oil on top of the balls and sprinkle a little bit of topping for eg. onion seeds.
- Roll out oblong shaped naan.
- You can make them either on stove top or oven. If making in oven, place the rolled out Naan onto ungreased tray and cook it for 5 minutes or little more till it is perfectly done at 400 F preheated oven.
- This is a traditional way I make them. Heat a griddle or tawa on medium heat. once the naan is rolled out apply a little water all over it.(top side) Do not apply more water or less water. Less water will not allow the next step to take place properly as we want the wet naan on to the griddle to stick.
- Once you have applied water, take the watered side and place it on the griddle. The wet or watered side should be on the griddle and it will stick right away.
- Once you see some bubbles on top of the naan. It is time to turn the griddle not naan (I am not crazy, this is the actual way) on stove flame. Increase the heat to high when you turn griddle upside down onto flame. As we have used water to stick the naan it won't fall on the flame and stick to the griddle and in turning the griddle we are cooking naan on the upper side also without flipping it. I hope this explains the process. Please see the picture.
- As you see some bubbles and some burnt markings on the naan. You too will have to be upside down..lolz..( Keep everyone out of the kitchen while you are doing this esp your dog, as you don't want anyone to disturb you). cook it on all sides. Please be careful and stay safe.
- Once you see it is cooked or well done, turn the griddle to normal position and with the help of a spatula remove it and spread some butter and serve hot.
- You can make these ahead , do not spread butter if you are making them ahead and reheat in oven or microwave, spread butter and serve it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue