If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hot damn!
I had some gorgeous, fresh, looovely, baby Brussels sprouts from our local farmers market and wanted to do something special with them. Roasted sprouts are always nice but it’s getting to be that point in the winter season where I’m nearing fatigue with roasted veggies. I mean really, I’ve been roasting like a maniac since Halloween. Anyway, I also didn’t want to go the shaved sprout salad route because these babies were too pretty to do anything with except keep them whole. What about a fiery pan fry? A-ha! What about nesting them on a bed of thinly sliced blood oranges? Delish!
I ate the whole bowl in a flash and wished for more.
Asparagus also works nicely in addition to or in place of the Brussels sprouts. —em-i-lis
- 5 ounces baby Brussels sprouts, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons Spanish olive oil
- 1 large (!) garlic clove, peeled and sliced paper-thin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds (or regular)
- 1/2 blood orange, peeled, pith removed, fruit thinly sliced
- Maldon for finishing
- In a small serving bowl or rimmed soup bowl, arrange the blood orange slices in a single layer. Set aside.
- In a skillet (8-10?), heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until quite hot, ~315°. Then, toss in the garlic, mustard seeds and red pepper flakes, and stir about 2 minutes. You want the garlic slivers to turn into crisps so don’t be afraid!
- Put the Brussels sprouts in the skillet carefully (the oil is hot) and if you have one, cover with a splatter screen. Cook, shaking the skillet vigorously, for about 2 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are bright green.
- Pour the sprouts out over the blood orange slices, and, using a spatula, make sure to scrape out the remaining oil and spices from the pan. Sprinkle liberally with Maldon, serve and eat immediately.
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
DIY Nutter Butters.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
Just shrub it off.