Author Notes: No story here, I'm trying to cut down on carbs (anyone who's tried that knows how difficult that is) Quinoa provides a texture as well as an added shot of proteins, making this a great vegan burger.. I simply wrapped it in Romaine lettuce leaves & scarfed it down.
The recipe has since morphed into a go to standard for my 3rd grader's lunches. Kids being kids, its 'cool' to eat food that mimics fast food. If he thinks of a healthy vegan burger as cool, who am I to question that?
I simply melt a slice of cheese (his favorite is mozzarella) over the cooked patty and slap it between a burger bun or dinner roll. A bit of lettuce and voila.. - Panfusine
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 cup fat free refried beans
- 2 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 small Fresh birds eye chilli deseeded & finely minced
- 1/4 cup Finely diced Shallots
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped Cilantro
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Pan frying
- 8 Hamburger rolls
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- lettuce, sliced tomatoes & onions as needed
- To obtain 1 cup of cooked Quinoa, add 1/2 a cup of the seeds to 1. 1/4 cups of hot water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & cook for ~ 15 min (until the seeds sprout their little tails out & turn translucent. Drain off any excess water.
- Combine the Quinoa, refried beans and all the other ingredient along with 3/4 cup of Panko bread crumbs. (reserve the remaining for coating the patties). Bring together into a mass. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Divide into 8 patties. Coat each patty in the Panko bread crumbs prior to pan frying.
- Drizzle the grill pan with oil and cook until the surface turns a deep brown and the aroma emanates from the patties. Place a slice of mozzarella over the patty and allow it to melt. Warm the burger rolls, slather with your choice of condiments, layer the patties and the onions, lettuce and tomatoes as per your preference. Serve warm with any chutney or aioli of your choice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Burger Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Quinoa Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce