If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I dislike all this negativity towards Mackerel. For want of an excuse for a headline pun I think it’s perfectly fitting to be honest. There are two sides to this story, firstly is from a good quantity of people who just shun it aside without the thought to taste it and secondly is just the cruelty from a cat’s perspective when a human eats it without sharing. The latter story happened today at lunch. Poor Ash, but a girl’s gotta eat too!
As a graduate, money is inevitably an everyday woe in the back of my mind, particularly when it comes to what food to spend my money on. Smoked, cooked and prepared Mackerel is £2.30 for around 6-7 strips at my local supermarket and if I’m strapped for cash it is most certainly my best friend. As it’s already prepared and cooked all you have to do is take off the skin on the back of the strips, shred the fish meat in pieces and add to pretty much any staple for a good meal. Aside this recipe, I absolutely love cooked rice, vegetables and mackerel all fried up in some lemony olive oil and butter for a quick meal.
- dashes Olive Oil
- 4 Spring Onions chopped
- 1 Courgette chopped
- 2 Bay Leafs
- 1 Vegetable stock cube (or fresh stock if you have it)
- 1 Tin of Cannelini beans
- 4-6 Strips of tinned, smoked mackerel
- Black Pepper
- 3 sprigs Fresh or dried Tarragon
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Put the bay leafs, vegetable stock/cube and tarragon into a measuring jug and fill with ½ a litre of boiling water and leave to stew.
- Put the chunk of olive oil and butter into a deep pan on a medium heat.
- Add your chopped spring onions to the pan with the clove of garlic until the juices all start to marinade and fry.
- Pop in the chopped courgettes or any other vegetables you want to put in.
- Add in the tin of cannelini beans and grind over lots of black pepper!
- Pour the ¼ litre of stock mixture with the aromatics into the pan of veggies.
- Bring to the boil for 5 minutes and then take down to a medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and give it a stir.
- Add in the cut up mackerel chunks and leave to stew for a minute to release the flavour.
- Serve with lots of bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.