If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was introduced to warm beets a couple years ago at my in-laws. The word “beets” never really appealed to me as, for some reason, it automatically made me think of “onions” (strange I know, but it’s true!). How wrong I was. The warm beets I initially had were roasted with reduced balsamic vinegar and it was such a wonderfully rich, flavourable vegetable, I couldn’t believe how I had judged these beautiful vegetables so quickly.
This salad is a compilation of perusing through epicurious and eating out at restaurants which served beet salads, which inspired me to create this simple yet very flavourable, rich in vitamins and antioxidants, salad - Airi @ TastynChic
Serves 4 side portions
- 2 bunches fresh beets with leaves left on (more colorful the better)
- 1/4 cup finely sliced purple onions
- 1/2 Granny Smith Apple
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Goat Cheese
- 1 cup nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans) whatever is your favourite
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 lemon (fully juiced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Once heated, wrap the beats tightly in aluminum foil and let it roast in the oven for 1 hour or until knife inserted in the beets, go through without any resistance.
- While the beets are roasting, combine all the ingredients in the dressing list and add the finely sliced onions to the dressing to marinate.
- Prepare the Caramelized Almonds by combining the sugar and almonds over medium heat in a non-stick pan (about 15 minutes). Keep stirring until the sugar becomes caramelized and once done, layer the almonds on a non-stick cookie sheet and let cool until the almonds harden.
- Once the beets are ready, slice them horizontally. Beets will be VERY hot and you will need to remove the skin, the trick to this is to peel them under cold water, the skin will fall off very easily this way.
- Start layering all the remaining ingredients in the following order: Beet leaves, Beets, Apples, Marinated Onions, Goat Cheese and Caramelized Almonds.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve (potluck style) or throw it into a large bowl, mix up and serve on individual side.
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.