If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Escalivada is a typical catalan dish made with roasted peppers, eggplant, and onions. In this recipe we used roasted peppers and eggplant, ortiz bonito del norte and a roasted garlic aioli. We served in on a toasted ciabatta bread. Consider it a dinner size tapa. - May I have that recipe
- 4 Red peppers
- 2 Large eggplants
- 1/2 Large ciabatta bread
- 1 250 gr can of Ortiz Bonito del Norte
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance dressing and sandwich spread (can be substituted by mayonnaise)
- 4 teaspoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Sweet paprika
- Pre-heat the oven at 400F
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and bake washed peppers and eggplants for 1 hour.
- Cut the bottom of a head of garlic. Keep the head whole. Wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it in the oven or a small toaster oven at 350F for 1 hour. Then let it cool.
- Take the hot peppers and eggplant out of the oven and put them in a glass bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let them sit for 45 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and eggplants from the bowl and carefully remove their skin trying to remove as many of their seeds as possible.
- Cut the peppers and eggplants in long strips, put them in a bowl and season them with the salt , sweet paprika, balsamic vinegar and 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil. Mix them gently. Set aside.
- Cut the ciabatta bread in half length wise. Cut each half in 2 pieces. You should end up with 4 pieces of bread. Toast the bread until crunchy but not dark. Set aside. Set the oven to broil (550F).
- Take the cooled head of garlic and squeeze the roasted garlic into a bowl. Take one tbs of the roasted garlic, add 5 tbs of dressing and sandwich spread (or mayonnaise) and mix it really well together until smooth and creamy, to form the aioli. Add a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Now it's time to assemble the "tostada de escalivada" .Take the toasted bread, drizzle extra virgin olive oil on each slice. Season each one of them with a pinch of salt.
- Right before serving, place the eggplant strips on each piece of bread, top the eggplant with the roasted peppers and crumbled canned bonito del norte (tuna).
- Spread the roasted garlic aioli on top of the tuna and place it under the broiler (550 F) for 2 minutes until the aioli is golden brown.
- ENJOY !!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.