Author Notes: This recipe has become a staple in our house. It's very important to let the baked potatoes cool a bit before attempting to peel the skin off! This mush is very tasty when served alongside something quite savory, such as roast chicken. It makes a great Thanksgiving side dish, too, naturally. - johanna
- 2 big sweet potatoes - any variety, but ideally local
- 1 generous splash whole milk
- 1 dash maple syrup
- 1 dash creme fraiche (don't substitute sour cream)
- 1 good pinch nice salt, such as Maldon salt
- copious amounts of freshly-ground black pepper
- Prick holes all over the sweet potatoes. Wrap them individually in foil and bake in the oven at 375 F for about an hour and a half, until the potatoes are well cooked through.
- Remove potatoes from their foil packets and allow to cool. Peel off the skin and put potato flesh into a pot on the stove.
- Turn the heat on very low and add the milk and maple syrup and salt and pepper to taste. Mush all the ingredients vigorously with a potato masher/ricer.
- Turn off the heat and add the creme fresh. Stir. Serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe