If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Some of my favorite foods- sushi tuna, avocado, lime and sesame oil,salmon caviar. I do love oysters but I can't think of anything more sensual than this!
- LE BEC FIN
Lemon Wasabi Rice
- 1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon Fresh wasabi paste- gritty is best
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons Japanese sesame oil (Kadoya preferred)
- 2 teaspoons Tamari
- black sesame seeds
- cooked short grain brown rice or white sushi rice
- A few hours or days ahead of time,with a fork,thoroughly mix together mayonnaise through tamari .Taste and adjust seasoning.
- At least an hour before assembly, combine rice* with a little of this wasabi lemon cream to add flavor and help it stick together. Add some sesame seeds for color.
- *if using chilled cooked rice, before mixing with lemon cream,sprinkle cold rice with water, cover and soften it in a microwave on High setting for 30 seconds. It should not be hard, but a little al dente.
Assembly of Timbale
- 3/4 cup Lemon wasabi rice from above
- 3/4 cup Raw 'sushi grade' bluefin tuna or salmon, cut into 1/3 inch cubes
- drizzle of Japanese sesame oil (Maruhon preferred)
- optional toasted white sesame seeds for color
- 3/4 cup Haas avocado flesh(1-2 avocados), cut into 1/3 inch cubes **( cannot be done more than an hour before assembly)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- dash tamari
- 1 teaspoon minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons tobiko(optional- flying fish roe)
- 1 tablespoon or 1/2 cup optional salmon caviar topping
- nori 'confetti' flakes- optional garnish
- Combine tuna with sesame oil and seeds and set aside.
- Gently combine avocado through tobiko , adjust seasoning and set aside.
- To assemble, place a non-stick sprayed 3" ring mold (or metal biscuit cutter, or plastic cylinder or can with top and bottom removed) on a plate. Spoon rice into bottom of mold to make a layer. Firmly press down on top of rice with a spoon or can lid - to flatten and lightly compact the rice. On top of the rice layer , spoon the tuna mixture to make an even layer. Tamp down lightly to flatten. On top of this, place the avocado mixture, lightly tamping down to flatten. While holding down the timbale filling, lift the cylinder up and away from the timbale. Optional: Top with a dollop or thin layer of salmon caviar. Repeat for second plate. Garnish with nori 'confetti' on the plate, and serve.
- Notes: Sushi grade fish, salmon caviar and slivered nori can be found in Japanese markets and some Whole Foods Markets (their in-house sushi counters sell prepared sushi rice as well.)
- My no-muss technique for cubing avocado: Halve1 avocado lengthwise.Twist slightly to separate halves and then remove pit by piercing it with the edge of a sharp knife and tugging.. Cradle one avocado half in palm of one hand, and have sharp knife in other hand. Gently score the avocado all the way through the flesh, just til you reach the skin, in a cross hatch pattern of parallel lines, East/West and North/South, w/ a spacing of about ½” between the cuts. Using a soup spoon, scoop out the avocado in one or two scoops. Cubes fall right out into your bowl!Scrape out any remaining avocado bits and add in with the rest. Repeat with second avocado half.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados