If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fall seems to have a collective effect on all of us who love to cook. Winter squashes, root vegetables, slow-cooked and roasted foods beckon us to linger a little longer in the kitchen. I got this recipe last year from my daughter-in-law who works at the Culinary School of the Rockies in Boulder, Co. and it has become my favorite fall salad. I've added a combination of feta and goat cheeses which I think really rounds out the flavors. I love how the fresh citrus balances the richness of the roasted beets. I hope you agree that this is fall at its finest. —patricellen
For the Salad
- 1 pound Beets
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Oranges
- 1/2 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 Head of Romaine Lettuce
- 5 ounces Mixed Baby Greens
- 2 ounces Good quality goat cheese
- 2 ounces French Feta cheese (not crumbled)
For the Vinaigrette
- Juice of one Orange
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash the beets and place in a baking pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 45 - 60 minutes or until a skewer can easily be inserted into the beets.
- Remove the beets from the oven and cool. Remove the skins and cut the beets into wedges. Toss with another drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and set aside.
- Peel 2 of the oranges and slice into sections. Cut the 3rd orange in half and juice. Set these aside.
- Toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Combine the feta and goat cheeses with your fingers to form medium-sized crumbles.
- Cut or tear the romaine into bite-size pieces and mix with the baby greens.
- Toss the lettuce with 3/4's of the vinaigrette and place on a platter.
- Garnish the salad with the beet wedges and orange segments and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Sprinkle the salad with the cheeses and toasted almonds and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.