If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Homemade celery-salt crusted baked potato - simple things made special with a little extra care. - Amee
Food52 Review: I couldn't agree more with Amee’s assertion that simple things are made better with a little extra care. She’s nailed that concept here by quickly roasting celery leaves for a homemade celery salt that tastes way more of celery than any commercial brand I’ve sampled. I used a hot oven (450 degrees) to get a highly flavored, perfectly baked – crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside – potato. Using them for Buffalo chicken stuffed potato skins wouldn’t be a bad idea either. - cheese1227
- 1 Celery - The Leaves from
- 1 handful equal amount of salt to celery, judging by eye
- 4 (1/2-pound) baking potatoes
- 1 egg white
- Pick the leaves from each celery stalk, hunt out the little leaves from down the centre also. Leave the stems aside for your usual recipes calling for celery. Put in a single layer on a baking sheet, then toast them in a hot oven for about 5 minutes. Bake until they have dehydrated and gone nice and crispy, but take them out before they have browned. This won't take long so do keep an eye. Remove from heat and cool completely. Scrunch up the leaves, using your fingers discard any that aren't crispy. Measure out an equal amount of salt to celery, judging by eye. Put in a jar and stir to mix evenly.
- Wash and dry potatoes, leave skin on. Prick potatoes all over with a fork. Lightly beat the egg white with a couple of spoons of water in a bowl. Pour your celery salt into another bowl. Roll potato in egg white, then in salt, coating the potato fully. Place on a baking sheet and transfer onto the centre rack in an oven. Bake for approximately 1-2 hrs depending on size. You should be able to pierce your potato all the way through with a knife when done. It should be soft with a crispy skin.