If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The things I find in my refrigerator on a Friday are sometimes weird. At the end of one week, I opened it to discover the remainder of a can of chickpeas, two thick, pre-cooked slices of [insert obscure farmer's market variety here] winter squash, and about a third of a raw sweet potato I'd used for soup the weekend before. In other words, the makings of a healthy lunch: veggie burger-like patties, to which my various squashes and beans would no doubt impart a hearty, packable texture. The dish is fragrant with cumin and delicious with a dab of herbed yogurt. - Cara Eisenpress
Serves 4 patties
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 ounces sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup cooked winter squash (or sub more sweet potato)
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 dash hot sauce (optional)
- 1 dash turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons yogurt, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Saute the onion in oil over medium heat. When it starts to soften, add the sweet potato and garlic and continue to cook until the sweet potato has softened. (The smaller you cut the pieces, the quicker this will happen.)
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork or in a food processor. Add the squash, salt, spices, hot sauce, and ginger. When the onion mixture is ready, add it to the mash. Stir in the flour.
- Brush a baking sheet with oil. Form the mixture into four even patties, flattening them with your palm. Bake for 10 minutes, then carefully flip each pancake and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, a squeeze of lemon juice, and some chopped cilantro. You can also make a sandwich by stuffing the patties into pita.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe
Shakerato, Not Stirred
It's espresso for the summer.
Espresso takes a chill.
Recipe of the Day
Treats for your beach bag.
Frozen dumplings the fearless way.
Raise a (recycled) glass.