If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Salmon can stand up to a lot of flavor, and gets along mighty well with tangy pomegranate, spicy ginger and star anise. The pop of cilantro at the end really brings everything together. - Kitchenette
Serves 4, with leftover sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil + more to brush salmon
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup orange juice (preferably fresh squeezed)
- 1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 2 star anise pods
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoon water, mixed together well
- 4 6 ounce salmon fillets
- pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- cilantro, for garnish
- Warm a saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the shallot and cook until softened and just starting to brown. Add garlic and ginger, cook for one minute. Add wine and reduce by half.
- Add orange juice. pomegranate juice, and star anise. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat until reduced by about half. Whisk in the butter and honey, then the cornstarch mixture. Continue whisking while it thickens, about 2 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, strain through a sieve, and set aside.
- Set a large pan over medium high heat. Brush the salmon with oil and season with salt & pepper on both sides. Cook the fillets for 3-5 minutes per side (depending on the size), until nicely browned and almost cooked through. They'll continue to cook as they rest.
- Garnish with pomegranate reduction, pomegranate seeds, and cilantro.