If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad has elements of the classic caesar - the coddled egg, anchovies - but it's a bit different. My mom loves lemon, so that's the star, with no mustard or worcestershire to stand in its way. - Kitchenette
- 1 small loaf sourdough bread (10 to 12 ounces)
- a few sprigs thyme
- pinch red pepper flakes
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
Mom's Lemony Caesar Salad
- 1 egg
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 whole anchovy fillets
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice (or more, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into large pieces
- parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano) for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the bread into 1 - 1 1/4 inch pieces and place on a baking sheet. Toss together with the thyme, red pepper flakes, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, and salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, tossing once, until toasted and golden brown.
- While the croutons are baking, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat, carefully add the egg, and let sit for about a minute. Remove the egg, crack into your serving bowl. Scrape out any of the egg that clings to the shell. Using a fork, mash the anchovies and garlic into the egg in the bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Whisk to combine. Continue whisking while slowly pouring in the olive oil until well combined. When ready to serve, toss the lettuce and most of the croutons with the dressing. Top with the remaining croutons, large shavings of parmesan, and more black pepper. Serve with the pepper grinder and extra cheese at the table, because you really can't have enough of either.