Author Notes: These caramel shortbread stars have a deep flavor of maple, coconut and butter. They are a chewy cookie lover's delight. While adapted , I significantly altered the recipe by changing the sugar, toasting the coconut ,and adding the maple.
photos to follow - LE BEC FIN
Makes 90 stars
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 cups Toasted Sweetened Coconut
- 2 cups A/P Flour
- 1/2 cup medium packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs with 2 pinches salt, lightly beaten-for egg wash
- 8 ounces Butter unsalted
- 2 tablespoons Maple Extract*
- With the paddle ,in a stand-up mixer, beat butter and sugar together til light, scraping down bowl occasionally, then add remaining ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide dough and roll out into a rectangular shape approx. 1/4" thick, chill at least one hour, then cut with 2 1/2" star cookie cutter. Brush with egg wash (egg beaten with a little salt.) Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes; turn pans and bake for 5-10 minutes more. Cool on rack.Cookies should be chewy.
- note: to assure a quality maple extract, I use the Whole Foods carried Pioneer brand.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe