Author Notes: These are simple, classic, straight-up macaroons adapted from Tamra Davis (director/ chef/ mom/ married to a Beastie Boy). This is a great recipe, they are perfectly fluffy & sweet without falling apart -- the key is really beating the sugar & egg whites. Again, macaroons are a great gluten-free, dairy-free dessert option & the ingredients are most likely always in your kitchen--plus they're super cute. - we eat. happy.
Makes almost 2 dozen
- 2 free-range egg whites
- 3/4 cups organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut
- pinches Maldon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325° F and line two baking sheets with foil. In a large bowl combine egg whites, sugar & vanilla. Beat with a whisk until combined and fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Fold in coconut & sea salt. With wet hands make small (1 tablespoon-sized) mounds, and place 1 inch apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 to 17 minutes until golden. Cool for 3 to 5 minutes before transferring onto a baking cooling rack.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!