If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love pancakes, and I think pistachios and cardamom are a dreamy combination.
I love the little Ataulfo mangoes that are in season right now and eat them as much as possible.
And I love a hearty Sunday breakfast.
Put them all together, and voila!! —em-i-lis
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, preferably Guatemalan as it's super pungent
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whey (from making fresh ricotta), or buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 6 green cardamom pods, cracked open, insides removed and shells discarded
- 1/4 cup raw pistachios, shelled
- powdered sugar, cubed mango and whipped cream for serving
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients (spelt flour through ground cardamom). Whisk well and set aside. In a smaller bowl, combine the egg, whey and butter. Whisk well to combine and set aside.
- In a mini-prep food processor, put the shelled pistachios and what you've removed from the cardamom pods. Pulverize until finely chopped. Pour this combo into the spelt flour mixture you've set aside, and stir to combine well. Gently stir in the liquid mixture until just combined.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat (I like to work at 380 or so degrees). Spray with nonstick spray or brush lightly with melted butter. Spoon batter onto the griddle, four pancakes at a time (3-4" across each). When all cooked, make stacks, sprinkle with powdered sugar, add a dollop of whipped cream and a generous smattering of cubed mangoes. Serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.