If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Mardi Gras: Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, who knew it was a day to flip crepes, pancakes, even latkes?
Mardi Gras was the inspiration for this recipe, built on the solid foundation of “Perfect Pancakes” a winning recipe by “sweet enough” found right here on the pages of Food52. Start a morning with flour, butter, blueberries and bourbon and really, how can you go wrong?
In celebration of a Fat Tuesday morning of my own making, I made a batch of melt-in-the-mouth blueberry pancakes, the best I ever tasted - all the while snapping photos for a blog I keep on a social media site called open salon. Can’t say whether it was the effect of the bourbon or a coincidental malfunction of my hard drive when I upgraded the operating system to iCloud, but later that afternoon, my computer crashed and with it I lost the files for the original photos - as well as the recipe I had concocted in the morning. No use crying the blues over spilt batter. Here’s an approximation of that recipe, no doubt an improvement, reconstructed from memory and photographed in an entirely different light.
Turns out, in pancakes, as in life, practice makes perfect.
- Vivian Henoch
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- Sift the dry ingredients together, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl or electric mixer, whisk eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla extract together. Add flour mixture and blend until smooth. Add bourbon and cinnamon. Fold in blueberries, and gently stir.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a pan or pancake griddle. Spoon batter onto sizzling pan or griddle surface. Cook for a minute or two, until bubbles form and pancake edges begin to turn golden. Flip pancakes and cook a another minute or two on the other side.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: dust pancakes with powdered sugar and top with fresh berries. Option: In a small pan, heat a tablespoon of butter, add a cup of blueberries, a tablespoon of confectioner's sugar, and a tablespoon of bourbon. Cook for a minute until berries soften to form syrup. Top pancakes with berry mixture.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.