If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a basic pancake recipe, but it's still my family's favorite. I got the idea of dipping apples to make pancakes from a friend on a camping trip. From the japanese store, I have little star shaped food cutter (like a little metal cookie cutter) and it's perfect for removing the core from the apple slices. —Lynnht
- 3 large apples (I prefer granny smith)
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup flour (I like 1/2 whole wheat & 1/2 all purpose)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- .5 teaspoons baking soda
- .25 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (plus more for griddle)
- 1 egg
- Peel apples, slice into rounds (crosswise), and remove core to make apple rings. Sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt).
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine wet ingredients (buttermilk, melted butter & egg). Add dry ingredients. Mix until just well combined.
- Heat griddle or pan over medium heat. When ready, brush griddle with butter. Dip apple ring into the batter to thoroughly coat and put on prepared griddle. Cook until edges are dry & underside is golden. Flip and cook pancakes another minute or two (check underside) until done. Serve with warm maple syrup.
- Note: a special treat for any pancake is maple syrup w/ blueberries... Place about 1 cup of frozen blueberries in a sauce pan. Add about 1/4 cup maple syrup. Heat until just barely bubbling around the edges. Serve over pancakes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).