If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Dorayaki is a Japanese traditional snack of two pancake layers filled with a very sweet bean paste. To match the season, I aimed for a cherry blossom-color pancake cooked with actual blossoms. For the filling I wanted to preserve the bright green color of spring, so I choose an edamame filling. After making several times, I had to add food coloring because the juice alone didn't color the pancakes as I wished. —BoulderGalinTokyo
- 250 grams bread flour, organic
- 160 grams sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate juice (maybe grape?)
- 10 Cherry Blossoms, dried in sea salt
- optional: red food coloring (itty bitty 1 dye spoon)
- 500 grams edamame, frozen OK; boiled and removed from outer husk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix dry ingredients. Then add wet ingredients. Mix with a hand-held mixer. Cover with cling wrap and let set for about an hour at room temperature.
- Make the Edamame Filling while waiting. Fill large saucepan with edamame, cover with water. Boil beans until soft (about 45 minutes). Drain. Remove inner bean skin (good job for the kids) by hand (see photo). Smash in food processor. Add sugar and return to heat and mix in salt and cinnamon. Keep stirring until smooth (like peanut butter).
- Wipe a little oil in a skillet with a paper towel. Drop pancake batter in a low-heat frypan or warm hot plate. Try to keep the size the same, about 3 inches in diameter. Use 1/4 cup to measure the dough, drop in pan. I used an iron cornbread griddle. Cook until bubbles come to surface, place a cherry blossom on the batter, then turn over to cook. Cook 20 pancakes to make 10 dorayaki.
- Spread filling on top of one pancake( should be pretty thick), top with another pancake with cherry blossom facing up. Let's dorayaki!
- NOTE: Don't pick blossoms from public cherry trees.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
It's in the bag.