If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Rarely do I ever follow a recipe word for word; usually I take inspiration, from restaurant dishes, magazines, and cookbooks. In Food & Wine Magazine, last month I believe, there was a recipe for Lemony Waldorf Salad. So . . . I started thinking, and this recipe is what I ended up with. Not very similar at all to the original, but still I must give credit to Food & Wine for getting my creative juices flowing. Many different cheeses were on my mind when trying this salad out at home: blue, Israeli feta, cheddar . . . though I settled on Manouri, which is made from the whey left after the feta-making process. It is mild, but has a pleasant saltiness. It has a similar mouthfeel to ricotta. Feel free to substitute one of the cheeses I mentioned above. —Leslie B
Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup mild extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons tart apple cider
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a mason jar (or other "shakeable" jar with lid) and shake vigorously.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Give one last shake . . . VOILA!
- Pour half of the vinaigrette in the bottom of your serving bowl and reserve the remaining half.
- 6 ounces baby romaine/baby spinach mix
- 8 ounces fennel, sliced paper thin on a mandolin
- 8 ounces tart apple, sliced paper thin on a mandolin
- 1 cup sliced grapes
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 5 ounces Manouri cheese, crumbled
- Slice fennel on a mandolin and toss with a bit of the reserved vinaigrette.
- Place the walnuts in a saute pan over medium heat, tossing frequently to prevent burning. When the nuts are fragrant and a golden brown, remove from the heat and let cool.
- Add lettuce, fennel, apple, grapes, and walnuts to your serving bowl, and toss gently with the vinaigrette.
- Drizzle in additional vinaigrette and toss again if necessary.
- Top with crumbled Manouri.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad
Anything But Watered Down
Pair tomato water with pasta
Tomato water: the sauce of summer.
Butter pecan ice cream for impatient cooks.
It's time to travel.
Tomato skins, meet salt.
Put cake on a pedestal.