Author Notes: These pancakes are equally at home on the dinner table or the breakfast buffet. You can eat them carrot cake style with a sweet cream cheese spread, or capitalize on more savory flavors with mint butter. - First We Eat
- 1 1/3 cup gluten-free, all-purpose flour blend (such as Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, lemon zest, pecans, rasins and salt to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, sugar and lemon juice. Mix in carrots.
- Add dry ingredients to carrot mixture, and stir to combine.
- Butter a griddle over medium heat. Drop 1/3 cup of batter at a time, and cook for approximately two minutes on each side. Serve with cream cheese spread or mint butter.
Cream Cheese and Mint Butter Toppings
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 4 ounces salted butter at room temperature (alternately, use unsalted butter and 1/4t salt)
- With electric beaters, whip cream until it forms stiff peaks. Add cream cheese, vanilla and sugar, and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix mint and butter together. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory