Author Notes: A traditional Moroccan dish combined with the delicious sweetness of cranberries. A simple meal to make! - Jasanna
Slow Cooked Ingredients
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon curry
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash lime juice (optional)
- 1 dash red pepper flakes (optional)
Bed of Couscous
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pearl couscous
- 1/4 cup amaranth
- 1. Layer in a traditional slow cooker, chicken cubes, onion, and cranberries.
- 2. Then, mix together the rest of the ingredients in the tagine, in a bowl. Pour over the chicken mixture in the slow cooker and cook on High for 3 hours or on Low for 5-6 hours.
- 3. In a separate saucepan, bring 1 1/2 C. water to boil, and pour in both the amaranth and couscous. Bring back to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Watch carefully that it doesn't burn! Remove from heat, and serve the couscous as a bed for your slow cooked tagine. The flavor will be sweet, combined with delicious, nutty notes.
- This recipe pairs well with Naan bread dipped in olive oil infused with spices!