If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Try these delicious puffs. I have been baking them the whole week for my daughter’s family as an alternative to bread. The technique of making the dough is the same as for Pate a Choux, the only deferens is in the baking time, I think it is because of the matzo meal. Serve these Passover Puffs alongside a bowl of chicken soup or cut them open as an English muffin and use for sandwiches. They are very tasty and keep fresh a lot longer then when made with flour. - Kukla
Makes 12 puffs
- • 1 cup water
- • 1/2 cup canola or grapeseed oil
- • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- • 1 tablespoon sugar
- • 1 cup matzo meal
- • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- • 4 large eggs, room temperature
- • 1 cup shredded Gruyere or a blend of Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina & Mild Provolone (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine oil, sugar, salt, and water. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Using a wooden spoon, quickly stir in the flour until combined.
- Return pan to medium heat and cook, stirring vigorously, until mixture pulls away from the sides and a film forms on the bottom of the pan, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer dough to a bowl to cool slightly, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition, and waiting to add the next egg until the previous one is entirely incorporated. Mix in cheese (if using), paprika and nutmeg.
- Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip; pipe 1 1/2-inch puffs about 1 inch apart. You can also deep an ice cream scoop in cold water and form balls. Using a lightly moistened finger, smooth tops.
- Transfer to oven and bake until they are puffy, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking until golden brown, about 30-35 minutes.