If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Made to taste like Banana bread French toast, topped with maple cream cheese frosting and tiny nuggets of candied bacon with a hint of Jack Daniels. Yum! - TheSlyRaven
Banana Bread French Toast Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup over-ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 bananas)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or other neutral flavoured oil)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350*F and line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mash banana with a fork or electric mixer.
- In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients, and mix well.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together oil, milk, vanilla and banana.
- Stir or fold wet mixture into dry. Mix just until flour is combined. Small lumps are fine.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full. For standard size cupcakes bake 25 - 30 minutes. (Miniature cupcakes will take 13 - 18 minutes, and jumbo cupcakes will take 30 - 40 minutes... just test with a toothpick if unsure). Tops should spring back when lightly touched.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting and Bourbon Candied Bacon
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 1/4 cups confectioner's/icing sugar (sifted)
- 8 ounces double smoked bacon, brunoise (small dice)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup Jack Daniels bourbon
- Whip cream cheese, butter, salt, vanilla and maple syrup with an electric beater until smooth and creamy.
- Add icing sugar in 1/2 cup batches, increasing beater speed with every addition.
- ** If frosting is not maple-y enough for your tastes, you can adjust it by adding more, but you may also need to add more icing sugar to tighten up the frosting, since adding more maple syrup will loosen it. **
- Frost cupcakes as desired. I usually use a 1M star tip, because I think it looks the prettiest. Frosting can be piped or spread on with a butter/palate knife.
- For the candied bacon: cut bacon into a very small dice and render in a frying pan until crisp (however crisp you like your bacon). Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon from grease and place on paper towels to drain. In a small pot stir together brown sugar, water and bourbon. Reduce over very low heat until syrupy in consistency. Place drained bacon in a small bowl. Pour bourbon syrup over bacon and stir with a spatula until bacon is coated. Spread candied bacon on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet and place in freezer until set (about 10 - 15 minutes). Crumble and sprinkle on top of iced cupcakes!