If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love making soups. This one is nice and easy, with a light onion flavor, some tart creaminess from the buttermilk, goat cheese and horseradish, and topped with a crispy puff pasty crust that is both beautiful and delicious! - HeartBellyAndSoul
Serves 4-6 servings
- 4 bunches spring onions or scallions (about 28)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 ounces Goat Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream (light)
- 1 teaspoon Horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- (NOTE: Follow the instructions for the puff pastry, and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.) Rough chop 2/3 of the onions into 1 inch pieces. Separate the white parts from the green parts. Dice 3 cloves of Garlic.
- Heat up 1 TBLS Olive Oil in a soup pot. Saute the chopped onion whites for about 4 minutes. Add the Garlic, and saute for another minute.
- Pour in the Vegetable Broth, and add in the Green Onion tops. Bring to a simmer for about 3 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Working in batches, ladle about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of the onions and broth at a time into a blender. Hold a towel over the lid, and start on a slow speed, then work up to a faster speed to puree. Pour into a separate bowl until all the soup is blended.
- Pour the blended soup back into the soup pot. Turn heat on to medium. Next, add the Buttermilk, Goat Cheese, Flour, Horseradish and Sour Cream into the blender, and blend until smooth.
- Temper the buttermilk mixture by adding a ladle of the broth mixture and stirring. Slowly stir the buttermilk mixture into the soup pot until mixed.
- Chop the last bunch of Spring Onions, and add to the soup. Bring to a a low simmer over medium heat, and simmer for 3 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out the thawed Puff Pastry according to the package, and cut to size for your serving container. Ladle the soup into the serving bowl/cup, and then cover with the puff pastry. Brush the top with an egg wash, and bake for 12 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Berti Foraging Knife
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.