Author Notes: I put some potatoes in the oven for baking and then came up with this dish as a result of having leftovers. This is great fill me up food - and a great way to use up mashed potatoes. I like the combination of flavors in this filling, but feel free to use your own leftover mashed potatoes for this dish. Just make sure to add the cheeses! - Bevi
Makes 4 large pastries
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- at least 4 tablespoons Salted butter
- 3 to 4 teaspoons Meyer lemon juice, or a little less of Eureka or other type of more sour lemon
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 4 tablespoons grated cheese - your preference, or feta or chevre
- 4 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled into medium sized bits
- 7 to 8 tablespoons finely chopped chives, plus a little extra
- 1 sheet puff pastry, with a bit of flour for rolling out
- Salt and Pepper to taste - be generous
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Bake the potatoes to your liking. In the meantime, cook the 4 slices of bacon, and crumble into medium sized pieces.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven, and immediately slit open. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees. Scoop out the fillings and place in a medium sized mixing bowl and then add the crumbled bacon. Mash in the butter. Then, mash in the cheese of your choice, and then the mascarpone. Add 3 to 4 tsp. lemon juice and continue to mash. Salt and pepper to taste, and then add 3 to 4TBL of chives.
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry to soften the dough, and then divide dough into 4 equal squares. Working to form a triangular pastry, spread 1 TBL. of chives over each square, and then place the potato filling on one half of the diagonal.
- Spread the egg wash on the 2 edges of the empty diagonal, and fold over to completely cover the filling. Crimp the edges with the tines of a fork. Prick the tops of the pastries to release steam. Spread all four pastries with egg wash, and sprinkle with extra chopped chives.
- Bake on a parchment lined sheet for about 20 minutes, or until the pastries are puffed, browned, and deep golden. Serve with a dollop of mascarpone cheese topped with more chopped chives.