Author Notes: This is a delicious refreshing salad that can be served as an appetizer alongside some crusty bread, or as an accompaniment to grilled meats. - lauren
- 1 1/2 pound red bell peppers
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat a broiler. Place peppers on a baking sheet and broil for about 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until their skin is charred. Transfer peppers to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit 20 minutes. Gently peel the skin off of the peppers and discard the stem and seeds. Slice the peppers into 2” wide strips.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic until it forms a paste. Place the garlic paste in a bowl, and add the olive oil, mint leaves, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Place the pepper strips in the bowl and coat well. Let marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- About 30 minutes before serving, remove the peppers from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Add the balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Serve.