If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For my spicy ramp kati rolls, tofu is really great to use since it takes on the flavor of the marinade and ramps. You can also replace it with eggplant or portabello mushrooms. The kale leaf adds a tiny fresh crunch and the topping of tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and cilantro cools the heat of the pesto. The lemon juice brings all the flavors out and adds a nice zing to the roll. - gastronomic nomad
Spicy Asian Ramp Pesto
- 1 bunch ramp, cleaned & leaves only (reserve stem & bulbs for another use)
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 pieces garlic cloves, whole and peeled
- 1 piece Thai red chile pepper, seeded
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 2 pieces lime, zests only
- 1 piece lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, add all ingredients except olive oil. On high, blend it together and slowly add oil into the mixture. Process for several minutes until it reaches the right consistency. Add more oil as needed.
- 2. Refrigerate in a sealed jar until ready to use. Keeps well for 2-3 weeks.
Spicy Ramp Kati Roll
- 16 pieces extra firm tofu, sliced into 1" x 1/2" rectangles
- 1 1/4 cups spicy Asian ramp pesto
- 1/2 piece Persian cucumber, peeled
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, diced finely
- 2 tablespoons Vidalia onions, diced finely
- 1/2 piece lemon, juiced
- 12 pieces ramps, cleaned & quartered
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 pieces frozen paratha or Indian flat bread
- 4 pieces raw kale, rib removed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons raw ramp leaf, thinly sliced
- In a large ziplock bag, marinade tofu with 1 cup pesto for at least 4 hours or overnight. Make sure each piece is well covered.
- In a small mixing bowl, add onion, tomatoes, cucumber and lemon juice. Season lightly with freshly ground black peppercorn. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Pre-heat an oiled cast iron skillet. Add ramps once hot and char on both sides. Remove from heat and put aside until ready to use.
- In a skillet, warm up 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Cook the paratha on each side for approximately 3-4 minutes until golden brown and crusty on both sides. Repeat with each paratha.
- To plate, lay paratha flat and smear the remaining pesto evenly along center of bread. Next, lay 1 pc of raw kale on top followed by 3 ramps. Lay 4 pieces of cooked tofu at a diagonal. Sprinkle with onion, cucumber and tomato mixture and cilantro-ramp. Repeat with the last 3 rolls. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.