If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Luscious mounds of toasty golden noodles infused and topped with the incomparable flavours of Mexico.
Serves 6 appetizer servings
For the Noodles
- 1/2 cup Walla Walla, Vidalia, Maui or other sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 7 red-ripe plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 plump garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea or Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound thin egg noodles, angel hair nests or fideos
- 2-3 cups homemade or good quality chicken broth
- Avocado chunks tossed with fresh lime
- Crumbles of queso fresco, extra old cheddar, Feta or Monterey Jack
- Fresh lime wedges, chopped onion, sour cream, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips
- Put onion, tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and cilantro into blender container. Buzz, buzz, for a few seconds until completely liquified. Set aside.
- Melt butter and oil together in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add noodles, saute while gently tossing with spatula and large spoon, or tongs. Continue carefully tossing and moving the noodles until they are toasty, golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add blender-buzzed tomato mixture and fold gently to distribute. Top off with just enough chicken broth to cover noodles. Reduce heat, so mixture just simmers. Cover and cook about 8-10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and noodles are perfectly al dente.
- Scoop appetizer size servings into bowls or small plates and top with avocado chunks, cheese and cilantro or your favorite topping combinations. Fantastico with a side of cerveza or margaritas and, of course, some rousing mariachi music. Salud!
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.