Author Notes: Luscious mounds of toasty golden noodles infused and topped with the incomparable flavours of Mexico.
Serves 6 appetizer servings
For the Noodles
- 1/2 cup Walla Walla, Vidalia, Maui or other sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 7 red-ripe plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 plump garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea or Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pounds thin egg noodles, angel hair nests or fideos
- 2-3 cups homemade or good quality chicken broth
- Avocado chunks tossed with fresh lime
- Crumbles of queso fresco, extra old cheddar, Feta or Monterey Jack
- Fresh lime wedges, chopped onion, sour cream, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips
- Put onion, tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and cilantro into blender container. Buzz, buzz, for a few seconds until completely liquified. Set aside.
- Melt butter and oil together in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add noodles, saute while gently tossing with spatula and large spoon, or tongs. Continue carefully tossing and moving the noodles until they are toasty, golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add blender-buzzed tomato mixture and fold gently to distribute. Top off with just enough chicken broth to cover noodles. Reduce heat, so mixture just simmers. Cover and cook about 8-10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and noodles are perfectly al dente.
- Scoop appetizer size servings into bowls or small plates and top with avocado chunks, cheese and cilantro or your favorite topping combinations. Fantastico with a side of cerveza or margaritas and, of course, some rousing mariachi music. Salud!