If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: OK before anyone gets all riled about this kimchi - I know it is not authentic, and am not claiming it as such. No special imported chilis, specific fish sauce, 6 month curing in a clay pot under a shaded cherry tree, no sea monkeys or the like. I just tasted the kimchi my brother made, looked at his recipe and several others, made it a couple times, and went with what I like. - aargersi
Serves 2 half pint jars
- 1 football sized head of Napa cabbage
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sambal olek
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves either minced ot pressed
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 1/4 cup minced chives (or you can double the green onion if you don't have chives taking over your garden)
- Core the cabbage, cut it into 1" strips crosswise, and rinse it thoroughly. Whisk the salt and 2 cups of cold water in a large bowl. Add in the cabbage, then enough water so it is covered. Put the bowl in the fridge for 8-12 hours.
- After the cabbage is brined, pour it into a colander and rinse it well, press out the extra water (it doesn't have to be completely dry though) (I typed pour it into a calendar the first time - ha - that would be a good trick!)
- Rinse the bowl out then add in the fish sauce, oil, agave, sambal olek, ginger and garlic. Halve the serrano, remove the seeds and pith, and thinly slice. Add that to the bowl. Stir in the chives and green onion, and finally the cabbage. Toss everything together. Press the mixture into two pint or one quart jar(s). Make sure to scrape any liquid or goodies in the bowl into the jars.
- Screw on the tops and put the jars in the fridge. They should sit for a few days before you eat them - I like to shake mine once a day while the cure. That's all! Easy!