If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A few years ago my friends hosted a Guacamol-off at the Jersey shore. I decided on this recipe as my entry to the contest after forcing my coworkers to try 4 different kinds of guacamole and voting for the one they liked best. So this really was a group effort and is definitely a little out of the ordinary when it comes to guacamole. - KaffeeAndKuchen
Makes 2 cups
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe mango, in a small dice*
- 2 limes, juiced (more if necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle sauce (like Tabasco brand)
- Crush the garlic with the side of your knife and remove the skin. Roughly chop the garlic and then sprinkle salt over it. Using the side of your knife, work the salt into the garlic until a paste forms. Scoop this up and place in a bowl.
- To use the avocados, run your knife all the way around the avocado, while touching the pit. Then twist the two halves and pull apart. To remove the pit, firmly whack your knife into the center of the pit, and then twist the pit and pull it out of the avocado while it is attached to your knife. Then, you can slip the pit off the blade and repeat with the other avocado. Scoop the avocado flesh into the bowl with the garlic and salt mixture. Begin to mash the avocado with a fork or potato masher.
- Next, add the red onion, cilantro and mango. Stir slightly to combine. Then add in the lime juice and Tabasco. Taste, and add more lime juice, Tabasco or salt if necessary. Serve immediately or sprinkle with more lime juice, and cover with plastic wrap so that the plastic touches the top of the guacamole and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- *To cut the mango, hold the mango so that the narrow side is facing you. Run your knife parallel to the length of the mango, moving it out if you hit the pit. Once you know where the pit is, cut the remaining 3 sides of the mango in the same manner. Then, score the mango into the size chunks you want, being careful to not piece the skin. Pull the skin down, like you are trying to open the mango, and the squares of flesh should pull apart from one another. Then use your knife to cut along the skin and the cut squares of mango should release. You can then cut these squares smaller if so desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.