If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is a bit unusual in that you use BBQ sauce to add a hint of something interesting that you just can't quite put your finger on. Give it a try!
Adapted from a caramel corn recipe by Real Simple. - Twice Cooked Half Baked
Makes 1 batch
- non-stick cooking spray or butter
- 3 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup popping corn
- 6 teaspoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce (I went with a sweet version here, but a spicy one would be interesting also)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 300° F. Spray with the cooking spray or butter a rimmed baking sheet .
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the popcorn kernels, cover, and cook, shaking the saucepan constantly once the kernels begin to pop, until there is a 2- to 3-second interval between pops, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, corn syrup and BBQ sauce. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, Keep at a rolling boil for 3-5 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper. Pour over the cooked popcorn and, with a rubber spatula, toss to coat.
- Spread the popcorn mixture on the prepared baking sheet and bake, tossing once, until deep amber, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven, toss, and let cool on the baking sheet. (The popcorn will crisp as it cools.)
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.