Author Notes: I started making this recipe during the hot summers in Crete, where we eat a lot of beets and tzatziki-style sauces. This variation livens up one of my favorite summer dishes. - minosmama
- 4-5 Medium beets
- splashes raspberry vinegar
- a glug lemon scented oil
- a glug herb-infused oil (I like OHCo. coriander, fennel and dill)
- Juice and zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- Scrub the beets and wrap them in a couple layers of aluminum foil. Place them in a medium hot oven until tender. This can take a couple hours. Remove from oven and allow them to cool until you can handle them. Slough off the peels and cut them into slices or smallish chunks.
- Dress the beets with the vinegar, oils, 1/2 the freshly squeezed orange juice and salt to taste.
- Prepare the yoghurt dressing by combining the yoghurt, remaining half of the orange juice & zest, and a squeeze of mild flavored honey. At this point the beets and dressing may be refrigerated up to a day and assembled just before serving.
- To assemble, place the beets in a shallow dish, pour the yoghurt into the middle and sprinkle with coarsely chopped pistachios. Serve and enjoy!