If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A mango infused version of horchata (Mexican rice milk.) It makes a great accompaniment to spicy foods. —hardlikearmour
Makes about 2 1/2 quarts
- 1 quart non-fat milk
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 2 3-inch long cinnamon sticks
- 15 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2/3 cup turbinato sugar
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 medium-sized mangoes (2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lbs)
- Combine milk, water, cinnamon and cardamom in a 6 to 8 quart stock pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently to prevent the milk from scorching. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine sugar, rice flour, and vanilla in a large bowl. Pour the milk mixture through a strainer into the bowl. Whisk to combine thoroughly then refrigerate for at least 4 hours, leaving the mixture undisturbed.
- Peel and remove the flesh from the mangoes. Place the flesh in a blender. Remove the milk mixture from the fridge, being careful not to jostle it. Ladle some of the milk mixture into the blender (enough to facilitate easy processing of the mango flesh.) Purée the mango mixture until smooth.
- Pour the mango mixture through a mesh strainer into a large pitcher. Use a spoon to stir and scrape the mixture, leaving only a small amount of fibrous material behind. Carefully pour the rest of the milk mixture into the pitcher, leaving the sediment in the bowl. Discard the sediment. Mix the mango horchata. Serve or chill. Make sure to stir before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Daytime Drinks
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
Orange You Glad?
A better, more carrot-y carrot cake
A more carrot-y carrot cake.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Meet beaver tails.
Get your shine on.