If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was a weird kid. Instead of managing a lemonade stand, I sold radishes. I piled the first spring harvest into my sister's red wagon then wheeled it to the front sidewalk and added a cardboard sign advertising "Radishes 1¢." I didn't get many customers.
In the end my mother bought my entire crop. This actually worked out pretty well for me, as I am and always have been a radish fiend. I sat on the front stoop dipping the peppery red and white orbs into a dish of salt and all was right with my world.
Roasted radishes have been making the rounds for a few years now. Ravers claim that heating radishes gives them new life. They soften. They mellow. They become buttery. Being a radish aficionado I was nervous about ruining a tasty orb by cooking it. Then it occurred to me that wrapping the radishes with bacon might sweeten the experience. The result was soft tasty radishes (almost like a Brussels sprout-lite) that soaked up just enough of the salt-savory bacon flavor to balance the sweet barbecue.
Makes 12 single radishes
- 12 radishes
- 6 slices of bacon, halved
- 1/3 cup prepared BBQ sauce
- You will need 12 toothpicks or 3 bamboo skewers.
- Place bacon strips on wire rack over cake pan; bake in preheated 400 degree oven until just starts to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wrap each radish with bacon strip and secure with skewer. Brush all sides with barbecue sauce. Return to oven and bake until bacon is crisp and radishes are soft; additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with additional BBQ sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips
How to Take a Food52-Style Photo
Those Instagrams aren't going to like themselves.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce
Easter Baskets for Loved Ones Who Sometimes Annoy You
Sure to put somebunny out of business.
Style with a breeze.