Author Notes: My 6 year old son proudly walked in with a huge tree like stalk of lettuce that had somehow escaped harvest last year as a mesclun green. There was no way I could disappoint him by tossing the rather toughish leaves off & so I had to make up a salad using the greens. Grabbed whatever was on hand, organic granny smith, an orange & radishes. Sheer laziness responsible for the salad dressing (it was a choice between squeezing the orange out or painstakingly cut segments, guess what won out?), The toasted butternut oil (picked up from the filling company, at Chelsea market) and the citrus worked magic yielding a divine dressing with an aroma reminscent of chocolate.. - Panfusine
Makes 4 servings
- 1 bunch Red Radishes, halved & sliced thin
- 2 Granny smith apple quartered cored & sliced
- 3 cups loosely packed mixed field greens
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted walnuts, broken into bits
- Wash & spin dry the field greens. combine with the radish, apples & walnut
- Drizzle with the dressing as per personal preference & serve.
Orange & butternut seed oil dressing
- 1 navel orange, Juice squeezed out
- 1/4 cup Toasted butternut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes
- Large pinches teaspoon crushed pink himalayan salt
- combine the orange juice, oil, pepper & salt in a mason jar. cover tightly & shake vigorously till the liquids emulsify.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips