Author Notes: We have an abundance of radishes and carrots (and beets) in our garden. This bread is a good way to get my kids to eat even more veggies. The fat is from nuts, not butter or oil, and the sugar is from dates. You can even throw in a banana and oatmeal if you want. - renee tatterson
Food52 Review: Barely sweet, with a satisfying dense, chewy and moist texture, this quick bread would be appropriate for breakfast, snack-time or to accompany dinner. The addition of oatmeal and one banana added texture and sweetness, and although a smear of honey was delicious, I didn't find it necessary for maximum enjoyment of this hearty, wholesome vegetable-date-nut loaf. While the radish does not have a pronounced presence in the recipe, this atypical veggie addition, as well as the use of two nut flours, and natural sweeteners is an inspiration in healthy baking. - LiveToEat1960
Makes 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup Boiling water
- 2/3 cups Almond flour (or almonds ground in spice grinder)
- 1/3 cup walnut flour (or walnuts ground in spice grinder)
- 1 cup Grated carrots (about 3-4)
- 1/2 cup Grated radishes (6-7), any variety except black radishes
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1-2 Bananas (optional)
- 1/2 cup Oatmeal (optional)
- Butter and flour a loaf pan (or2 )and cut piece of parchment to fit in bottom. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place dates in boiling water to soften while preparing rest of ingredients. Measure all dry ingredients, carrots, and radishes into a large bowl and mix to combine.
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, process the dates and water until smooth. Add eggs and pulse until combined. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and veggies. Stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If you've divided the batter between two pans, the bread will take less time to bake. Check after 20 minutes.
- Let cool on wire rack before wrapping. My kids don't let me get that far. Eat warm w/ honey comb.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips