Author Notes: If it's been an especially snowy winter, we find turnips in the garden left over from the fall when the snow melts, as sweet and white as they were in November. However, these over-wintered turnips have tired tops. John discards the tops and adds the turnips to mashed potatoes for a more interesting, tangy taste. - GMA8.5
- 3 large turnips
- 3 medium white potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- cream to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean, peel and cube the potatoes and turnips. You can also leave everything unpeeled.
- Simmer until soft, drain, then return turnips to hot pan to dry out. Place vegetables in a large bowl.
- Add butter, and coarsely smash with potato masher
- Add cream for correct consistency. None that it will not need as much as regular mashed potatoes, as turnips are more watery. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips