If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This kind of side dish, sunomono, is usually a vinegared vegetable paired with a contrasting flavor. Japanese turnips are delicious raw so I paired them with California Tangelos. They started appearing here last year, and have a very strong flavor and tasty peeling. The salt/soaking in step 2 gives the turnips a softness seen in picture 3 (soaked) compared to 2 (not soaked). - BoulderGalinTokyo
Makes 4 side dishes
- 200 grams, mild or sweet turnips such as Hakurei or Macomber, 2 large
- 2 Minneola Tangelos
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons mild oil and vinegar dressing (example below)
- 10 caper berries OR 8 caper berries + 1/2 teas. regular capers, rinsed
- If using a Japanese variety turnip you don't have to peel if unblemished. If some discolorations then peel.
- Cut top off, cut in half down the middle, cut the half in half top to bottom, then thinly slice across the grain. Cover with cold water, add the salt, and mix well. Let set about 10 minutes.
- Zest one tangelo. Then remove peeling and pith, and section the tangelo. Save the juice. Cut sections into thirds.
- Drain turnips and rinse. Squeeze excess water out. Add to bowl with tangelo sections.
- Combine zest, dressing, and any juice from the tangelos. Mince 2 caper berries, throw stems out; or mince capers if using. (Caper berries are much more expensive so I like to keep for presentation. Taste of dressing should be very mild, NONspicy.)
- Clear French Dressing-- 2 Tablespoons Rice (Sushi) Vinegar or White Wine vinegar, 4 Tablespoons Vegetable or grape seed oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 Freshly ground white pepper
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Bake yourself breakfast.
Calling all recipe testers!