Author Notes: Daikon Radish Oroshi is a must for oily foods in Japan. Tempura is presented with a small dipping bowl of oroshi and oily fish are served with drained oroshi on top which cuts the oily flavor and aids in digestion. It can be flavored with soy sauce, or yuzu citrus. It is a quick and easy technique to add dimension to flavors but should be grated right before eating. The red on top of the patty is momiji oroshi, named for the color of autumn maple leaves, but really is grated red chili mixed with the grated daikon. - BoulderGalinTokyo
Miso Beef Burgers
- 300 grams ground beef (low-fat content)
- 1/2 large onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Koji Miso (or golden miso)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon golden Miso (medium)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup panko (this produces a juicy burger, add more panko if grilling or want firmer patty)
Serving Components and Daikon Oroshi
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 shishito peppers, or sliced bell pepper (shishitos are usually not hot)
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced, or maitake (hen-of-the-woods) pulled apart into equal sizes, picture is shimeji mushrooms
- 2 1/2 inches daikon radish from the middle section, peeled
- 4 shiso leaves (plus 4 extra if making chiffonade for oroshi)
- 1/8 teaspoon cheyenne pepper (or one dried chili of your choice, remove seeds)
- 2 kabosu, sudachi, key lime (halved) or yuzu, or Meyer lemon (cut in eights)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients down through panko. Remove your wedding ring and knead like bread in the bowl. Shape into patties.
- Put oil in skillet and on medium heat cook hamburgers. Since it's beef, don't over cook. When they are almost done, push to one side of skillet and add mushrooms, sauté until done, 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan to a warmed plate.
- Add shishito peppers and sauté until cooked, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. (If you want the peppers to look shiny with no beef on them, sauté before the hamburgers).
- Make the DAIKON OROSHI: Grate with a ceramic grater which is easiest for this purpose (photo). What you use for garlic should be fine. Or chop in half-inch pieces and pulse in food processor. Over processing will make juice. Drain a little but oroshi should not be dried out. For MOMIJI OROSHI: grate chili or use a little cayenne pepper. Add to some of the grated daikon-it should taste very hot. SHISO CHIFFONADE: Remove any stems. Roll leaves up and slice very thinly.
- TO SERVE: Place a shiso leaf off center on individual serving plates. Place miso hamburger in middle, covering a small section of shiso. Put shishito peppers on other side of shiso. Top with daikon oroshi in center-to-front of burger. Place mushrooms on top of burger and oroshi. Put momiji oroshi on top and sprinkle shiso chiffonade (if using). Before eating squeeze citrus juice on daikon oroshi.
- Don't forget your wedding ring!