If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have made several iterations of muffins containing rhubarb and rhubarb-other fruit combos, and wanted to stretch the flavor profile a bit. I typically use warm spices like cinnamon and cardamom, but I wanted to play around with lavender. These muffins are just sweet enough, with a deliciously firm outside and tender inside. The lavender adds just a hint of intrigue. Hope you enjoy! - xuedanw
Food52 Review: WHO: Xuedanw is a user who loves baking with cinnamon and cardamom.
WHAT: A muffin that's made for spring.
HOW: Pulse together the lavender and sugar; make your muffin batter; fold in rhubarb; top with streusel. Bake.
WHY WE LOVE IT: With the pink rhubarb and the purple lavender -- along with the tangy, floral flavors they carry, repsectively -- these muffins are a true celebration of the season. We love how the exterior is firm, almost crunchy -- and how it gives way to such a tender crumb. Slather them in butter, or just eat them plain. - The Editors
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 teaspoons dried lavender
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, sugar, zest, and salt. Stir in butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place sugar and lavender in food processor; pulse 30 to 60 seconds (pulse longer for a more intense lavender flavor). Sift through strainer into medium bowl to remove any large pieces of lavender.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well-combined.
- In a small, whisk together melted and slightly cooled butter, yogurt, zest, egg and vanilla. Make well in center of dry mixture; pour in wet mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in diced rhubarb. Divide evenly between muffin cups and sprinkle with streusel.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!