Author Notes: Local radishes were the inspiration for a salad with crunch. I tried this salad with both a sweeter orange and a tarter pink grapefruit vinaigrette. Both are good. The wilted greens of the radishes adds a nice flavor and I think a nice textural contrast to the crunch of the salad. The fennel adds additional crunch and a nice contrast in flavor to the bite of the radishes. - Bevi
For the Salad
- 6 or more larger radishes with greens attached, halved vertically
- 1/2 fennel bulb (halved vertically) thinly sliced crosswise
- a few fennel fronds, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, sliced thinly on a long diagonal
- 2 tablespoons capers
For the Citrus Vinaigrette
- juice of one orange or 1/2 pink grapefruit
- twice as much olive oil as the amount of liquid from the citrus juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon local honey
- dashes caper juice
- pinches ground black pepper
- Steam the halved radishes in a saucepan with a little water only until the radish greens have wilted. Take off heat immediately, and plunge in an ice bath.
- Place the salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
- Mix the vinaigrette ingredients well. Pour over the salad and toss. Allow to sit in the refrigerator, and toss occasionally until serving time.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel